Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Teenage angst

Sometimes I quite like to 'hang' with my 16 year old sister. She is funny and opens up my eyes to the world of teenagers again. I was quite convinced that I was like 'in with the crew' but quite frankly the age gap is pretty much the same as the dad in 'Modern Family' who says 'Yo homie what's up' to his daughter's boyfriend.

I often also forget how old my stepsisters are because they have grown up so quickly or slowly for that matter.

So the other day I was like:

'Lisa, why aren't you driving yet?'

Her response: 'Uh because you need to be 18 to drive, like obviously...'

My response: 'So why don't you have your learners?'

Her response: 'Because you need to be 17 to have your learners obviously...'

Ok so this is how I figured out for about the 100th time she is only 16. But the other stepbrat Katie is 18.

I was greatly entertained when Lisa told me how much she liked 'Rammstein' which I hear is a satanic band where they sacrifice cats on stage. She thinks this is hilarious as apparently they only spit burning booze into people's eyes occasionally! So now she wants me to accompany her to rammfest whatever the hell that is. I was going to play the cool older sister and be her '+18' till I heard it was in Midrand...forget it, I don't leave the parks of JHB!

She also told me that most of her grade (in my day it was standards) is clinically depressed and quite literally on anti depressants. To which I was like 'WTF - they are teenagers for god sakes, they are supposed to be morose and depressed and hate their parents and teachers.' Seriously, Doctors and parents are way too indulgent went it comes to prescriptions for horrible little teenagers these days.

Last but not least I gave one of them earnest advice when she was complaining that she had put on weight so I told her to get on with it and 'start sticking her fingers down her throat like the rest of her grade.'

Now that's what I call being a good sister.

I just want to have as high expectations for the steps as Asian Dad has for his kids:


No comments:

Post a Comment