Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Advertising sucks...sometimes

I actually have to write this now as I am sooo unbelievably irritated by an ad. It's that really annoying radio ad for Toyota which sounds like an incontinent, mentally unstable bald guy jerking off while he sings 'Jingle Bells' and tells you to buy a Toyota. As if we haven't had enough of 'Jingle Bells', I mean give us a fucking break it's only February and we're still recovering from the Valentine's day malarkey.

It fills me with so much rage that I think on principle, I will NEVER buy a Toyota based on the sheer level of irritation and rage that is bubbling inside me. Or maybe it's the fact that I just never would drive a car that hadn't been manufactured in Germany...you know how ruthless and militant those Jerrys can be.

Marketers/advertising agencies would argue that like it or not, here I am writing about the ad therefore 'no press is bad press' and WOM (Word of Mouth) is spreading as we speak, but I will still think you (yes you, Toyota tits) are the biggest fucking twats ever who annoy people like mosquitoes in the night - I will resent you forever.

Speaking of ads, please don't even get me started on every single perfume ad where a willowy blonde wearing a slinky D&G/Givenchy/YSL/Carolina Herrera dress gyrates her crotch in the cameraman's face, licking her fingers and standing on the 'Venice-imitation' balcony whilst gazing longingly at her dumbstruck lover bent on one knee with a let me guess...red rose. I mean, cmon, seriously, seriously can they not think of anything original?

I'm trying to think of more ads I hate but there are just way too many to write about.

The only ones that stand out as being impactful/funny TV ads in my head are the following:

The VW ad for the new Beetle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulbjaKmKG0

The Cadburys Gorilla, old I know but it still made a huge impact in the UK when it first came out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8E6ouSiC0

The Evian Roller babies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcVllWpwGs

The child tantrum I LOVE this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_0bhT98g9Y

Red and Yellow taught us that there are 3 principles of advertising: ABC.
Animals, Babies, Children and judging from my above choices, they were actually spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment